How do you have fun?

Ok, now I have a bone to pick with you guys... I have followers from all over the world, and I'm really interested to hear about how you have fun!

Let me explain. I have lived in Morocco, America and England, the latter since I was 16 (now 21). So I finished school here, and went to University. One of the key ways that young Brits seem to have fun is based on getting your 'friends' together in a room, with the cheapest, nastiest alcohol you can buy, drinking til you're pretty wasted and then heading out. This process of pre-drinking aims  to get you drunk enough to not need to spend a lot of money on nice, more expensive alcoholic beverages when you're out at bars and clubs. SO, first point is that people are drinking SOLELY to get drunk. Lots of drinking games, drinks that you switch off your senses to whilst you down as they are nothing but unpleasant. That is the goal of the pre-drinking situation (pre-game in the States).

The student life in England has the potential to be incredible. Most Uni's are absolutely thriving with active sports and societies members, doing anything and everything from playing rugby to raising awareness on climate change, but the club 'socials' are sometimes unfortunately one of the most heavily-advertised aspects of joining. No, this isn't in all cases, but I have definitely heard 'Come join! We have great socials and get wasted!' more times than not. NOW, I'm not saying that Uni students should absolutely never drink any booze or sit in their rooms and study all day (I sure as hell wouldn't follow that ha!), but I find it really upsetting that there is this pressure for people to come to Uni and think the only way to make friends and have a 'good time' is to drink lots and often. I think there is a big problem in this country of basing most social situations around drinking and being drunk. It breaks my heart to know that I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, yet there are thousands of students here that haven't experienced anything outside the bars & clubs of the city.

Whilst I rant about this, I think it is also important to mention that there are many people I have met (my current friends) that feel exactly the same way I do. It is with these people that I go for long walks, have BBQ's, cook and bake, go to the movies, theatre, bowling, play pool, explore the local sights and have maybe 1 or 2 drinks because I ENJOY THE TASTE. I truly believe the drinking culture is a major reason for people feeling their Uni experience is unfulfilled and depressing. Young students (espesh in their first year) are away from home (the first time for many) meet people that they either live or study with and fall into this habit of sleeping all day, and blowing all their loan on drinking. The result? They haven't seen much, get bored, and most IMPORTANTLY: feel like the drinking is point of the night rather than enjoying each other's company. And the worst bit? It is hardly ever a house party!! That's the point, its not throwing a fun party to catch up with people (and alcohol happens to be involved); it is drinking to get drunk, then go out and drink more.

I encourage unhappy friends wherever I can to not feel guilty about walking away from those groups of 'friends' and find people who are interested in the same sorts of things that they are, people that WANT to learn about them and spend time with THEM. I remind them that other cultures don't do things like we do here and that it is OK to find this whole process dull and tedious.

So back to my original question: what are things like in your country? I would be really interested to hear!

Mega Love xx

3 comments:

  1. lol, I think drinking the cheapest booze you can find in a dorm room is something all across the world that college people do! Eventually moving to drinking somewhere downtown from the dorm room... I've done that for a few years and got pretty bored with it... hence I got a hobby of starting the blog and try to get inspired

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I don't doubt it, college kids just want to get drunk I guess, haha! Blogging is just a wonderful output and the community on here is just incredible.. so inspiring and loving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the "realest" posts I've seen in a while. I agree with you 100% I don't understand the whole "drink till you get wasted" theory as a way to have "fun" - I don't see the point in that. Kudos to you for going your own way! Takes courage to break from the majority =)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, ideas, loving :)?